Tucked away on the shores of Gun Lake rests Bay Pointe, a picturesque four-season resort. For years, our Shelbyville property has served as the home base for countless vacations. One reason our resort is a popular choice for everyone, from couples to families, is our proximity to memorable events. Not only will you be close to popular local activities but regional ones as well. As you plan your itinerary, be sure to leave room for memorable day trips, like setting off to discover some of the best things to do in Grand Rapids.
A Checklist of 7 Grand Rapids Attractions & Activities
Grand Rapids is only about 40 minutes north of our Michigan resort, making it an excellent day trip option. There are countless things to do and see that appeal to visitors of all ages.
- Take your time wandering the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. The popular museum has over 200 sculptures and several unique garden areas.
- Learn about the life of President Ford at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum. Explore personal and historical artifacts, or take in the recreations of key events from the former president’s life.
- Say hello to the animals that call the John Ball Zoo, one of the oldest zoos in the country, home. With more than 200 species of animals from around the world, there’s something new to see everywhere you look.
- See how many of the outdoor public works of art you can spot. Over 100 murals, sculptures, and outer pieces of art are found in and near downtown. One of the most recognizable is La Grande Vitesse, which stands 43 feet high.
- Go for a walk along the trails found inside the Blandford Nature Center. The eight trails cover a little over a mile and take you through wetlands, meadows, and forests.
- If you’re on an adults-only getaway, explore the city’s incredible brewery scene with Grand Rapids Beer Tours. The public tour includes stops at three to four breweries where you can enjoy multiple samples.
- Take to local waterways and go kayaking. For anyone visiting Grand Rapids during the summer, head to Canal Pak on Saturday to use one of the low-cost rentals from GR Outside. Another great option is Bill and Paul’s Sport house, but you will need to transport your rentals yourself.
Reserve Your Lakefront Michigan Getaway
Whether exploring the best things to do in Grand Rapids or having fun on a mid-week getaway, there’s no better place to call home than Bay Pointe. Our family-owned resort provides all who stay here with a tranquil retreat.
Whether staying in one of our wooded cottages or taking in lake views from your room at the Inn, our accommodations offer stunning views. Before turning in for the night, be sure to stop by Bay Pointe Bar & Grille for a delicious meal. Call 269-672-8111 to learn more about our resort and its amenities. Don’t forget to ask about ways to save!