As the temperatures continue to climb and heavy winter clothes are put away, thoughts turn to getting back outdoors. When you book your Shelbyville, MI, vacation at Bay Pointe, you can take advantage of all that a Michigan summer has to offer. Lace up your hiking boots for a day on the nearby trails or tighten your life vest for an afternoon out on Gun Lake.
A Summer Activity for Every Michigan Vacationer
Whether you are planning a family vacation or escaping with a group of friends, summer is the perfect time to visit Shelbyville, MI. When planning your itinerary, make sure to add some of these can’t-miss summer activities.
- Visit the Gilmore Car Museum and take a step back in time. The 90-acre historic campus includes a re-created dealership row, diner, and nearly 400 vintage motorcycles and automobiles.
- Hike, bike, or run on a nearby trail. Pick up a running guide from the front desk or explore the nearby Yankee Springs Recreation Area.
- Spend the day relaxing or fishing on a lake, like Gun Lake, when you rent a pontoon.
- After a long day of exploring, relax at a nearby brewery or winery. Enjoy a glass of locally-made wine at Cascade Winery and Sierra Rose Ciders, or sample one of the handcrafted brews on tap at 5 Lakes Brewing Company.
- Roll the windows down and drive to one of the nearby lighthouses like South Haven Lighthouse. Warning, some of these historic landmarks are rumored to be haunted.
- See all that Michigan has to offer by exploring the towns around Shelbyville. Kalamazoo is a quick drive from Bay Pointe and has something for everyone.
- Spend the day outside when you visit a nearby state park. With a trailhead in Kalamazoo, Kal-Haven Trail State Park runs over 30 miles to South Haven along an abandoned railroad bed, making it the perfect adventure for avid bikers and nature lovers.
- See native wildlife when you go birdwatching at local sanctuaries like Ronald H. Warner Sanctuary or Otis Farm Bird Sanctuary. Visit a nearby petting zoo like Mary’s Country Critters or Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park.
- Explore the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. Make a day trip out of it and explore the other attractions you find along the drive.
- Check out local art and music festivals. Every Wednesday from Memorial to Labor Day, Bay Pointe hosts Gun Lake Live.
The Perfect Place to Relax after a Day of Exploring
When you’ve had your fill of Michigan summer activities for the day, come back and relax in your Bay Pointe Inn room. Offering individual cottages as well as resort rooms, our Gun Lake hotel is perfect for any getaway. Call 269-672-8111 to learn more about our amenities, including a full service on-site restaurant and boat slips, and availability.