There’s nothing quite like letting the sounds of nature be the soundtrack of your vacation. Listen to Gun Lake roll onto the shore and birds chirping in the trees by packing your bags and heading to Bay Pointe. This four-season resort in Shelbyville puts you close to countless outdoor adventures, including kayaking excursions and breathtaking hiking trails. For a memorable outing that’ll have you surrounded by nature, head to Fort Custer State Park.
What to Do at This Michigan State Park
It only takes a little over 30 minutes to drive from your Gun Lake vacation rental to Fort Custer State Park, also called Fort Custer Recreation Area. The 3,033-acre park between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek is home to a variety of outdoor activities that everyone in your group will enjoy.
- The Blue Trail is a 4-mile trail that is moderately difficult and is also open to horseback and mountain bike riders.
- For a longer path, explore the Yellow, Red, and Green Trails. The 21.6-mile trail combines three shorter trails, so you can choose a route that fits your needs.
- During the summer months, you can rent a kayak, canoe, or stand-up paddleboard from Simple Adventures at the Eagle Lake beach house.
- The fun doesn’t end when the snow starts to fall. Go cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or dog sledding to experience Fort Custer when it looks like a winter wonderland.
- With three lakes found within park limits, there are plenty of spots to cast your line fishing. Each one has boating access, and there is a fishing pier on Whitford-Lawler Lake.
You will need to purchase a Recreation Passport to enter the park. You have several pass options and can buy one at the state park.
Start Planning Your Michigan Getaway Today
When you’re ready to escape the pressure of everyday life for a little while, book your Bay Pointe stay. You’ll instantly feel relaxed the moment you arrive at our waterfront resort. Spend your days exploring nearby natural attractions like nature preserves and Fort Custer State Park and your nights relaxing in comfort.
Our collection of Gun Lake vacation rentals includes accommodations in various sizes and styles. This variety ensures we can host groups of all sizes and budgets. We strive to make your visit as enjoyable as possible, and that means providing incredible on-site amenities. Call 269-672-8111 to learn more about our Gun Lake resort or special offers.